Saturday 11 February 2023

Dying a Slow Death

It may seem like a contradiction in terminology but the Dead Sea really is dying. We are at the lowest elevation on earth at 430 metres below sea level and my ears have been popping on the way down into the valley. It’s not just the lack of rain, summer temperatures reaching 130 Celsius and the evaporation process. The primary reason the water level is being lowered at the rate of 1 metre a year is political. It’s a very complicated issue but goes back to the 1967 war between Arab states and Israel. The long and short of it is that Israel took possession of the lands that belonged to Jordan and in effect also Palestine. The Jordan River is the primary source of the Dead Sea’s water replenishment. The Israeli government diverted 80% of the water to satisfy their settlements despite the United Nations decree not to do so. Our guide who definitely has Islamic views and practises strict Muslim values is very upset and makes no bones about it. One third of the Sea has already disappeared and at this rate it is predicted that The Dead Sea will no longer be in existence within the next century. His reasoning is sound and another reason for regional tensions. But that is not going to stop me from having a float. The weather is very comfortable and the water temperature is much warmer than anticipated. A very strange sensation not being able to stand up but just being able to “look Ma, no hands and no feet”. I kid myself that I look five years younger and Jennifer confirms I’m still the same old codger. Check out the picture listing the appropriate bathing attire one is allowed and not allowed to wear. Don't forget we are in a very spiritual mulslim practising country. The sign saying the number of feet below sea level says it all. Looking across the barren lands dotted with Bedouin nomadic tent settlements reminds me of illustrations in the bible during my Sunday school days. We are indeed in the backyard of Jesus, Abraham, Moses, the Sea of Galilee, Jerico and the Jordan River. The Holy Land is our playground for the next few days. We just arrived yesterday into Amman and I know biblical stories and the places of their origin will be coming fast and furious. I hope I can keep up. Shalom!

1 comment:

  1. I take it it's dead due to high salt content? Meaning nothing can surive in it save tourists floating in it's waters.

    ReplyDelete

Petra………Mission Accomplished!!

Well I wasn't expecting that! Awakened before dawn by a lone howling dog, we started the day off all bundled up as the temperatures were...